A guide to where to go on holiday in June for wildlife, culture and adventure in Africa, the Indian subcontinent and Latin America.
Best places to go on holiday in June
Highlights of where to go on holiday in June in Africa:
- In Botswana, the Okavango Delta lagoons and waterways are filling up fast and the wildlife is great. June is a great month to come to Botswana and yet it’s not peak season prices in most places.
- In southern Africa in June wild dogs start to den, so you stand a particularly good chance of seeing them from now until about October.
- If you’d like to come to see Madagascar when it’s quieter, yet still good for lemurs and other wildlife, May-June is a good time. Also, the tropical beaches of Nosy Be and other areas are fabulous.
- It is the dry season in Malawi so a great time for wildlife. Warm and sunny so it’s also good by the lake and great for lots of activities and watersports, though it can be a little windy.
- Mauritius is good most of the year, with May to December being the best months for avoiding tropical storms. Excellent beaches and many superb hotels.
- In Rwanda & Uganda, the dry season is here again, so June is good for general wildlife and gorilla trekking or chimp trekking.
- June is winter in Kruger and the days are dry and warm, with cold nights. It’s a great time for wildlife viewing here as well as in KwaZulu Natal‘s Hluhluwe-Umfolozi, and Madikwe in the northwest.
- In Tanzania & Kenya, the rains are over so it becomes easier for game drives in the excellent East African parks such as the Serengeti, Masai Mara, and Amboseli. The Indian Ocean islands and mainland coastline are lovely at this time. Consider Zanzibar, Mafia, Diani Beach or Pemba
- The dry season is starting in Zambia, so South Luangwa, Kafue, Lower Zambezi and all the excellent reserves here are now good places to come wildlife viewing. The bush camps start opening this month too, such as Island Bush Camp or Bilimungwe Camp.
- The Mozambique beaches of the Bazaruto archipelago and the Quirimbas Archipelago as well as the mainland are all good at this time of year. June is also a good time to see humpback whales (June to September) in the south.
- Zimbabwe is also great in June. It’s not quite peak season yet so good prices and the wildlife is easier to see now the grasses have died down.
Highlights of where to go on holiday in June in Latin America:
- June is the start of the season (June to October) when wild jaguars are more easily spotted in the Pantanal in Brazil. Combine the Pantanal with the Amazon for an incredible wildlife experience.
- The Galapagos Islands offer a year-round wildlife spectacle that is hard to beat. June is the start of the drier cooler season and a lovely month to visit. On Santa Cruz, the giant tortoises come to the lowlands to mate. Combine this with time to explore the mainland to see the wildlife of the Amazonian rainforest plus the Andean regions with Andean markets and haciendas.
- In Ecuador, June can be a little wetter than other months, but it’s rarely too bad, so still a lovely time to visit.
- June is a generally good month for most experiences in Peru. Explore Peru’s Incan and colonial history and find out about modern life in Cusco, the Sacred Valley, Arequipa, at Lake Titicaca …
- Titicaca, Amazon rainforest, Andean mountains and salt lakes are all waiting for you in Bolivia.
Highlights of where to go on holiday in June in India, Nepal or Bhutan:
- From June to September India is mostly hot and humid and the main monsoon starts in the southwest and heads northwards through central India reaching the north in July. Most national parks are closed. India’s southeast remains mostly dry in these months.
- In Bhutan, it’s the time of summer festivals beginning and lush greenery. It will be raining though, so if you come you need to be prepared for that.
Above are the events and reasons to travel that are specific to JUNE, and below we give you an overview of when to travel in African countries, with links to pages that have more details to help you.
Where to go in Africa
When to go to Botswana
Botswana is about wilderness and wildlife in the Okavango Delta, Chobe, the Kalahari Desert . . . Take mokoro safaris, meet San Bushmen, hang out with meerkats and elephants, search for wild dogs.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Botswana page.
When to go to Kenya
If you want to take breakfast with a giraffe, walk with Maasai, see wildebeest (hopefully) escape the jaws of crocodiles in the Masai Mara, and chill out on the beach by the Indian Ocean, Kenya is for you.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Kenya page.
When to go to Madagascar
Head for Madagascar if you yearn to meet a lemur, want to see weird but wonderful baobab trees, are keen to learn about the ‘turning of the bones’ ceremony, or fancy escaping to stunning tropical beaches.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Madagascar page.
When to go to Malawi
This little country known as the ‘warm heart of Africa’ has a superb combination of lake activities and beaches, excellent wildlife viewing and bird watching, varied hiking opportunities, and fascinating culture.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Malawi page.
When to go to Mauritius
Mauritius is the place to come if escaping to the beach is your main priority. Hit the beach, enjoy watersports, explore some of the nature reserves or try out the restaurants and bars in the main towns.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Mauritius page.
When to go to Mozambique
Mozambique has miles and miles of Indian Ocean coastline and beautiful tropical islands. Fancy somewhere different for your beach holiday? You’ve just found it!
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Mozambique page.
When to go to Namibia
Impressive sand dunes, the Skeleton Coast, ancient rock art, tribal culture of the Himba, incredible wildlife, exciting activities . . . the huge arid country of Namibia attracts visitors for many good reasons.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Namibia page.
When to go to Rwanda
You should definitely come to Rwanda to see mountain gorillas, but also chimps, golden monkeys and other wildlife, as well as truly breathtaking scenery and fascinating culture.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Rwanda page.
When to go to South Africa
The diversity of experiences you can enjoy here is huge. From incredible wildlife in Kruger and many other parks, to fabulous beaches, impressive mountains, and cosmopolitan cities, South Africa never fails.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to South Africa page.
When to go to Tanzania
Fly over the Serengeti in a hot air balloon, follow the wildebeest migration, climb Kilimanjaro, learn from Maasai, go chimp trekking, relax on Zanzibar Island . . . Tanzania is unbeatable.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Tanzania page.
When to go to Uganda
Mountain gorillas are the highlight of Uganda for some but for others, it’s the incredible birdlife. Whether it’s the wildlife, the culture, or incredible landscapes such as Murchison Falls, it will not disappoint.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Uganda page.
When to go to Zambia
Walking safaris were born here and it is home to Victoria Falls. Canoe on the Zambezi; visit the ‘lost world’ of Liuwa Plains; experience the photo hides in South Luangwa . . . We adore Zambia.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Zambia page.
When to go to Zimbabwe
Superb safaris, Victoria Falls, cruises on Lake Kariba, canoe trips at Mana Pools, rock paintings at Matobo Hills and the ancient ruins of Great Zimbabwe. Diversity, adventure and luxury combined.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Zimbabwe page.
15 days from £3395pp plus international flights.
A comprehensive overview of Madagascar's flora, fauna and landscapes, this trip is very hard to beat.
- Spot lemurs including mesmerising indris
- See the spiny forest and baobabs
- Relax by the Mozambique Channel
- Abundant bird, reptile and amphibian life
- Find out about Malagasy highland life
Above are the events and reasons to travel that are specific to JUNE, and below we give you an overview of when to travel in Latin American countries, with links to pages that have more details to help you.
Where to go in Latin America
When to go to the Antarctic
Go and explore one of the most untouched places on Earth, Antarctic, land of snow and ice, penguins and elephant seals, albatrosses and orcas.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Antarctic page.
When to go to Argentina
Tangos, red wine and steak, gauchos in the Pampas; glaciers in Patagonia; Iguazu Falls; wetlands, winelands, lake districts . . . Argentina is a feast of experiences just waiting to be explored.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Argentina page.
When to go to Bolivia
Bolivia is one of the generally lesser-known countries in South America, but its Amazon rainforest, Andean mountains, salt flats, Lake Titicaca and fascinating history shouldn’t be missed.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Bolivia page.
When to go to Brazil
From the Amazon to the Pantanal, from Iguazu Falls to the Costa Verde, and from Rio de Janeiro to the Afro-Brazilian culture of Salvador, Brazil is huge, diverse and unmissable.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Brazil page.
When to go to Chile
The landscapes of this long thin country vary from the Atacama Desert in the north, to the lakes districts and winelands in the centre, down to Patagonia in the south and Easter Island offshore.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Chile page.
When to go to Costa Rica
Discover sloths and spider monkeys, walk on hanging bridges, explore volcanoes, try zip-lining, dip your toes in the Caribbean and/or the Pacific. It’s a tiny country but it’s packed with adventures.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Costa Rica page.
When to go to Ecuador
The highlights of Ecuador are the Andean mountains, the Amazon rainforest, the beautiful cloud forest, the Galapagos Islands, and the Ecuadorian people.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Ecuador page.
When to go to the Galapagos Islands
A nature lover’s paradise where wildlife has no fear of mankind and you can swim with curious seals or see pelicans in the fish market. Unique wildlife, volcanic habitats and nature cruises.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Galapagos Islands page.
When to go to Peru
Peru is synonymous with the Incas and Machu Picchu, but it also has Amazon rainforest, cloud forest, Lake Titicaca, Colca Canyon, Arequipa . . . Peru is uniquely and diversely fascinating.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Peru page.
15 days from £3000pp plus international flights.
This varied itinerary shows the highlights of Bolivia, a perfect introduction to this beautiful country.
- Explore the Inca history of Lake Titicaca
- La Paz for culture, history and shopping
- Visit colonial Sucre and the mines of Potosi
- Gaze upon the mesmerising salt flats of Uyuni
- Explore the colourful lagoons with their flocks of flamingos
Above are the events and reasons to travel that are specific to JUNE, and below we give you an overview of when to travel in India, Nepal and Bhutan, with links to pages that have more details to help you.
Where to go in Indian Subcontinent
When to go to India
Palaces and forts vie for your attention alongside tigers and rhinos, while spiritualism and sightseeing can combine with Himalayan mountains and Keralan beaches for a uniquely Indian experience.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to India page.
When to go to Nepal
Nepal is an incredible country where you can see Everest in the north, tigers in the south, and the stunning cities of the Kathmandu Valley with the stupas and temples. Adventure, wildlife and spiritualism.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Nepal page.
When to go to Bhutan
The Land of the Thunder Dragon is a Buddhist kingdom where you can enjoy visiting temples, discovering a unique culture, and hiking in stunning scenery.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Bhutan page.
17 days from £2950pp plus international flights.
An exciting combination of rural South India, the key ancient temples, cardamom and tea plantations, and the backwaters of Kerala.
- See the amazing temples at Mahabalipuram, Madurai and Thanjavur
- Visit the French influenced town of Pondicherry
- Ride in a rickshaw and a bullock cart
- Explore the little visited Chettinad area with its terracotta horses
- Stay on a tea plantation in Munnar
- Cruise the backwaters of Kerala on a houseboat
- Enjoy exquisite regional cuisine
Take a look at our Tribes Guides. You get full access to these guides when you 'Join our Tribe' simply by giving us your email.