Cotopaxi and the Avenue of Volcanoes
Why visit Cotapaxi and the Avenue of Volcanoes?
Eight of Ecuador’s highest volcanic peaks, including the perfect cone-shaped Cotopaxi, stunning Andean views, amazing birdlife, a beautiful emerald lake and some of the best hiking you can experience anywhere…
Reasons to visit Cotapaxi and the Avenue of Volcanoes include:
- Trekking in the 35,000 hectare Cotopaxi National Park, its magnificent scenery dominated by the 5897m snow-capped Cotopaxi, the highest active volcano in the world.
- Walking around Limpiopungo Lake, spotting wildlife such as white-tailed deer and wild horses, and an array of waterfowl.
- Birdwatching: this area is home to the Andean Hillstar, the giant Andean Condor, with its 3m wingspan, Orange-faced falcon, Andean seagull(at altitudes over 4000m) and various species of hummingbird.
- Explore the small city of Banos (Banos de Agua Santa), named after its famous hydrothermal springs.
- Take part in a vast range of outdoor activities including rafting on the Pastaza river and mountain biking.
- Hike the Quilatoa Loop, and enjoy astonishing views as it wends its way through the highlands and through Andean villages. Don’t miss the emerald Laguna Quilatoa, a lake in the crater of an extinct volcano.
- Take one of the most spectacular – and steepest - train journeys in the world, as the train zig-zags its way up the near-vertical Nariz del Diablo (Devil's Nose).
- Bask in the hot springs at Papallacta.
When to go to Cotapaxi and the Avenue of Volcanoes
Like much of Ecuador, Cotapaxi
is an all year-round destination as the weather is fairly changeable all year.
Cotopaxi and the Avenue of Volcanoes accommodation
5/5 from 70 reviews
our travel expert
TALK TO GUY
Start planning your tailor-made holiday to Ecuador. Tell us what you want, and we will tailor make your perfect trip.
PLAN MY TRIP
Call: 01473 890499
facts and information
Time: GMT -5 hours
Flight time: There is an international airport at Quito and at Guayaquil. KLM and Iberia have routes via Europe to both cities. The flying time is about 14 hours. It is also possible to fly via America.
Language: Spanish is Ecuador's official language.
Visas: Not required for British travellers. Other nationalities should obtain advice from their embassy.
Health: There are no compulsory vaccinations, except yellow fever if visiting the rainforest. Malaria prophylactics are also recommended in the rainforest.