Best time to visit Costa Rica
Costa Rica is extensively covered in rainforest, flanked by oceans and with a spine of mountains in the middle. For all these reasons Costa Rica gets quite a lot of rain. So is there a ‘best’ time to come here? Well, we would argue that you could come any time, but realistically, a lot of people prefer to be here when there is less chance of rain.
From December to about April/early May Costa Rica is generally drier than the rest of the year. You can come across rain at any time in this small country, it is just a question of the amount. For this reason May to November should not necessarily be discounted.
COSTA RICA'S SEASONS
Dry season in Costa Rica
(December to late April/ May)
- As you’d expect you get very little rain during these months.
- This is generally the more popular and busy time to visit Costa Rica.
- Lodges and hotels are busier.
- April and May tend to be less busy than other dry season months.
Rainy season in Costa Rica
(May to November)
- Mornings are generally sunny and most of the rain comes in afternoon downpours. So you do get some good sunny times most days.
- Flowers bloom and trees fruit. Birds and butterflies love this time of year.
- The heaviest rains tend to be in September and October.
- The rainy season prices are cheaper than the dry season.
- It’s quieter in the green season.
- It’s a great time for river rafting.
- November can be a good time as the rains are calming down and prices are still low.
- Roads can become difficult to negotiate in the rains.
- From July to October in Tortuguero turtles come ashore to lay eggs.
- Humpback whales can often be seen around October as they come to calve.
- The coffee harvest comes in around October to December.