A guide to where to go on holiday in October for wildlife, culture and adventure in Africa, the Indian subcontinent and Latin America.
Best places to go on holiday in October
Highlights of where to go on holiday in October in India, Nepal or Bhutan:
- The summer heat and monsoon rains have stopped for much of this region, and October is a good month to visit. Diwali is usually in October or November, and other festivals are common at this time.
- The Indian states of Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Karnataka in the southeast, largely dry until now, get most of their annual rainfall in the ‘winter’ monsoon in October and November.
- October is a lovely month for trekking under crisp blue skies in India, Nepal and Bhutan.
- Wildlife parks begin to reopen.
Highlights of where to go on holiday in October in Africa:
- This is still high season in Botswana. It’s a wonderful time for wildlife, especially as this is the driest hottest month, so wildlife is very much concentrated around water sources. Excellent time for elephants in the Linyanti and Chobe in particular.
- It’s hot and it’s dry … excellent for game viewing in all parks in Kenya. The migration is still in the Masai Mara and northern Serengeti (Tanzania) though will probably start to move south again towards the end of the month.
- September and October are classed as two of the best months for wildlife viewing in Madagascar. The tropical beaches of Nosy Be and other areas are gorgeous.
- One of the best months in Malawi for wildlife viewing in parks such as Liwonde and Majete. Great birding.
- See humpback whales in south Mozambique from about August to October in the north. Enjoy the beaches of the Bazaruto Archipelago, Quirimbas and the mainland.
- In Rwanda & Uganda, the short rains can start in October, but it’s still a good time to visit, including trekking to see gorillas and chimps.
- October is a great month for wildflowers (usually up until mid-month) in South Africa‘s Cape and Garden Route. It is also peak season for whales near Hermanus, with sightings most days. Gameviewing in most reserves are good in October though with some chance of rain.
- The Serengeti, Selous, Ruaha … the wildlife reserves of Tanzania are at their peak from July to October. In October the wildebeest migration is in northern (and some in central) Serengeti in Tanzania, as well as in Kenya’s Masai Mara. For something unusual, consider the very remote Katavi, and see chimps in Mahale … amazing.
- South Luangwa, Kafue, Lower Zambezi and all the excellent reserves in Zambia are in peak season for superb wildlife viewing from July to roughly the end of October. The Busanga swamps in Kafue are accessible now. Carmine bee-eaters are back in numbers. It’s very hot.
- Mauritius is good most of the year, with May to December being the best months. It’s warm but not too humid in October.
- In Zimbabwe in September and October, temperatures start to increase, reaching their peak in October. It is an excellent time for game viewing as wildlife tends to congregate around the waterholes. September to November is the best time for fishing in Zimbabwe, particularly if you are after a tigerfish.
Highlights of where to go on holiday in October in Latin America:
- October is the start of spring in Argentina and Chile so definitely worth adding to the list for this month.
- October is a good month for most experiences in Peru. The claylicks in the rainforest are attracting parrots, macaws and parakeets in good numbers from August to October.
- The Galapagos Islands offer a year-round wildlife spectacle that is hard to beat. This is a time when marine wildlife is generally very active. Swimming with sealion pups is not uncommon. Dolphin and whale spotting is quite common. Combine this with time to explore the Ecuador mainland to see the wildlife of the Amazonian rainforest plus the Andean regions with Andean markets and haciendas.
- September is a great month for spotting wild jaguars in Brazil‘s Pantanal (June to October). Combine the Pantanal with the Amazon for an incredible wildlife experience. Good time for hyacinth macaws, and even maned wolves in a particular camp. It is also a popular month to visit the beaches of Salvador and the northeast. August to October is also peak season for southern right whales in Santa Catarina.
- Titicaca, Amazon rainforest, Andean mountains and salt lakes are all waiting for you in Bolivia.
Above are the events and reasons to travel that are specific to OCTOBER, and below we give you an overview of when to travel in India, Nepal and Bhutan, with links to pages that have more details to help you.
Where to go in Indian Subcontinent
When to go to India
Palaces and forts vie for your attention alongside tigers and rhinos, while spiritualism and sightseeing can combine with Himalayan mountains and Keralan beaches for a uniquely Indian experience.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to India page.
When to go to Nepal
Nepal is an incredible country where you can see Everest in the north, tigers in the south, and the stunning cities of the Kathmandu Valley with the stupas and temples. Adventure, wildlife and spiritualism.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Nepal page.
When to go to Bhutan
The Land of the Thunder Dragon is a Buddhist kingdom where you can enjoy visiting temples, discovering a unique culture, and hiking in stunning scenery.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Bhutan page.
13 days from £2700pp plus international flights.
A rich mix of the north's highlights - from the Taj to the ghats and from tigers to palaces.
- Admire the serene beauty of the Taj Mahal
- Explore the Pink City of Jaipur
- Look for tigers, sloth bear and antelope in Ranthambore
- Experience a slice or rural Rajasthani life
- Walk round atmospheric Fatehpur Sikri
- Immerse yourself in the sacred city of Varanasi
Above are the events and reasons to travel that are specific to OCTOBER, and below we give you an overview of when to travel in African countries, with links to pages that have more details to help you.
Where to go in Africa
When to go to Botswana
Botswana is about wilderness and wildlife in the Okavango Delta, Chobe, the Kalahari Desert . . . Take mokoro safaris, meet San Bushmen, hang out with meerkats and elephants, search for wild dogs.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Botswana page.
When to go to Kenya
If you want to take breakfast with a giraffe, walk with Maasai, see wildebeest (hopefully) escape the jaws of crocodiles in the Masai Mara, and chill out on the beach by the Indian Ocean, Kenya is for you.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Kenya page.
When to go to Madagascar
Head for Madagascar if you yearn to meet a lemur, want to see weird but wonderful baobab trees, are keen to learn about the ‘turning of the bones’ ceremony, or fancy escaping to stunning tropical beaches.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Madagascar page.
When to go to Malawi
This little country known as the ‘warm heart of Africa’ has a superb combination of lake activities and beaches, excellent wildlife viewing and bird watching, varied hiking opportunities, and fascinating culture.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Malawi page.
When to go to Mauritius
Mauritius is the place to come if escaping to the beach is your main priority. Hit the beach, enjoy watersports, explore some of the nature reserves or try out the restaurants and bars in the main towns.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Mauritius page.
When to go to Mozambique
Mozambique has miles and miles of Indian Ocean coastline and beautiful tropical islands. Fancy somewhere different for your beach holiday? You’ve just found it!
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Mozambique page.
When to go to Namibia
Impressive sand dunes, the Skeleton Coast, ancient rock art, tribal culture of the Himba, incredible wildlife, exciting activities . . . the huge arid country of Namibia attracts visitors for many good reasons.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Namibia page.
When to go to Rwanda
You should definitely come to Rwanda to see mountain gorillas, but also chimps, golden monkeys and other wildlife, as well as truly breathtaking scenery and fascinating culture.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Rwanda page.
When to go to South Africa
The diversity of experiences you can enjoy here is huge. From incredible wildlife in Kruger and many other parks, to fabulous beaches, impressive mountains, and cosmopolitan cities, South Africa never fails.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to South Africa page.
When to go to Tanzania
Fly over the Serengeti in a hot air balloon, follow the wildebeest migration, climb Kilimanjaro, learn from Maasai, go chimp trekking, relax on Zanzibar Island . . . Tanzania is unbeatable.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Tanzania page.
When to go to Uganda
Mountain gorillas are the highlight of Uganda for some but for others, it’s the incredible birdlife. Whether it’s the wildlife, the culture, or incredible landscapes such as Murchison Falls, it will not disappoint.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Uganda page.
When to go to Zambia
Walking safaris were born here and it is home to Victoria Falls. Canoe on the Zambezi; visit the ‘lost world’ of Liuwa Plains; experience the photo hides in South Luangwa . . . We adore Zambia.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Zambia page.
When to go to Zimbabwe
Superb safaris, Victoria Falls, cruises on Lake Kariba, canoe trips at Mana Pools, rock paintings at Matobo Hills and the ancient ruins of Great Zimbabwe. Diversity, adventure and luxury combined.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Zimbabwe page.
10 days from £8200pp plus international flights.
An upmarket safari staying in gorgeous lodges and camps with game drives in some of the best wildlife viewing spots in Kenya.
- Superb, high-end Kenya air safari
- Fly in comfort in an executive aircraft
- Stay in stunning lodges and safari camps
- Game drives in Amboseli, Laikipia and the Masai Mara
Above are the events and reasons to travel that are specific to OCTOBER, and below we give you an overview of when to travel in Latin American countries, with links to pages that have more details to help you.
Where to go in Latin America
When to go to the Antarctic
Go and explore one of the most untouched places on Earth, Antarctic, land of snow and ice, penguins and elephant seals, albatrosses and orcas.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Antarctic page.
When to go to Argentina
Tangos, red wine and steak, gauchos in the Pampas; glaciers in Patagonia; Iguazu Falls; wetlands, winelands, lake districts . . . Argentina is a feast of experiences just waiting to be explored.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Argentina page.
When to go to Bolivia
Bolivia is one of the generally lesser-known countries in South America, but its Amazon rainforest, Andean mountains, salt flats, Lake Titicaca and fascinating history shouldn’t be missed.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Bolivia page.
When to go to Brazil
From the Amazon to the Pantanal, from Iguazu Falls to the Costa Verde, and from Rio de Janeiro to the Afro-Brazilian culture of Salvador, Brazil is huge, diverse and unmissable.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Brazil page.
When to go to Chile
The landscapes of this long thin country vary from the Atacama Desert in the north, to the lakes districts and winelands in the centre, down to Patagonia in the south and Easter Island offshore.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Chile page.
When to go to Costa Rica
Discover sloths and spider monkeys, walk on hanging bridges, explore volcanoes, try zip-lining, dip your toes in the Caribbean and/or the Pacific. It’s a tiny country but it’s packed with adventures.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Costa Rica page.
When to go to Ecuador
The highlights of Ecuador are the Andean mountains, the Amazon rainforest, the beautiful cloud forest, the Galapagos Islands, and the Ecuadorian people.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Ecuador page.
When to go to the Galapagos Islands
A nature lover’s paradise where wildlife has no fear of mankind and you can swim with curious seals or see pelicans in the fish market. Unique wildlife, volcanic habitats and nature cruises.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Galapagos Islands page.
When to go to Peru
Peru is synonymous with the Incas and Machu Picchu, but it also has Amazon rainforest, cloud forest, Lake Titicaca, Colca Canyon, Arequipa . . . Peru is uniquely and diversely fascinating.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Peru page.
13 days from £4600pp plus international flights.
Explore three contrasting regions of Chile, with varied tours led by local guides, as you experience desert, lake and mountain scenery.
- Admire the lunar-like landscape of Atacama's Moon Valley and enjoy incredible stargazing
- Take a catamaran cruise in the beautiful Lake District and see the waterfalls and volcanoes
- See Chiloe Island's colourful stilt houses and pretty villages
- Cruise the Patagonian fjords - spot sea lions and cormorants
- Explore azure Lake Peho, Grey Glacier and the blue icebergs of Grey Lake
Take a look at our Tribes Guides. You get full access to these guides when you 'Join our Tribe' simply by giving us your email.