A guide to where to go on holiday in November for wildlife, culture and adventure in Africa, the Indian subcontinent and Latin America.
Best places to go in November
Highlights of where to go on holiday in November in Latin America:
- It’s the start of the dry season in Costa Rica, so come and see the beautiful rainforest and its inhabitants, try some cool adventures, and soak up the sun on the beaches.
- November is spring in Argentina and Chile so it’s a fabulous time to travel here.
- November brings the resurgence of some rain in Peru. However, it’s still not a bad time to come as it’s rarely torrential at this time.
- The Antarctic becomes accessible to travellers from late October. Book well ahead for a cruise ship to take you on an incredible adventure.
- The Galapagos Islands offer a year-round wildlife spectacle that is hard to beat. This is a time when marine wildlife is generally very active. Swimming with sealion pups is not uncommon. Dolphin and whale spotting is quite common. Combine this with time to explore the Ecuador mainland to see the wildlife of the Amazonian rainforest plus the Andean regions with Andean markets and haciendas.
- November is a good time to go to Rio and the Costa Verde in Brazil for relaxation and beaches.
Highlights of where to go on holiday in November in Africa:
- In Zimbabwe and Botswana the rains usually start sometime in November but you can still get some very good wildlife viewing. The zebra migration begins to head for Botswana’s Makgadikgadi and Nxai Pans, and birding begins to get much better as the month goes on.
- It’s the time of the short rains in Kenya and Tanzania this month (usually from about mid-month). However this doesn’t mean you shouldn’t come as the wildlife viewing, whilst not at its best, can still be good, and the beaches are still good.
- November and December are two of the very hottest months in Madagascar, and November can see the start of the rains. If you’re into birds and amphibians and can cope with the heat though, (or choose a beach resort with aircon!) these are the right months for you.
- In Malawi November and early December can be quite hot and humid, but the snorkelling and diving is excellent and wildlife viewing is still worthwhile.
- In Mozambique the rains begin this month but it’s not generally too wet. Whale sharks can often be spotted in the south around the Bazaruto archipelago from about October to early December.
- In Rwanda & Uganda, the rainy is underway, but it’s still a good time to visit, including trekking to see gorillas and chimps as long as you don’t mind mud and an occasional soaking. It’s the start of the best birding season here too (November to March).
- Kruger, the north and east of South Africa tend to be a bit rainy, but try game viewing in the Eastern Cape instead which has lovely Mediterranean summer weather at this time. Reserves such as Shamwari, Addo, Kariega and Kwandwe are all good in November. Whilst KwaZulu Natal is in a wetter season, this coastline almost always has decent weather with just occasional short sharp showers.
- The rains have started in Zambia but this is one of the best months for visiting the remote Liuwa Plains as the wildlife returns here in droves at this time. Also, November is the month for the extraordinary sight of millions of bats in Kasanka.
- Mauritius is good most of the year, with May to December being the best months. November is a warm month that is not too humid, a lovely time to visit.
Highlights of where to go on holiday in November in India, Nepal or Bhutan:
- The summer heat and monsoon rains have stopped for most of this region, and November is a good month to visit. Diwali is usually in October or November, and other festivals are common at this time.
- The Indian states of Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Karnataka in the southeast, largely dry until now, get most of their annual rainfall in the ‘winter’ monsoon in October and November.
- November is a lovely month for trekking under crisp blue skies in India, Nepal and Bhutan.
- November really is the start of the wildlife viewing season in India. From November until about April/May the reserves are open and can offer some superb wildlife sights, especially later in the season.
Above are the events and reasons to travel that are specific to NOVEMBER, and below we give you an overview of when to travel in Latin American countries, with links to pages that have more details to help you.
Where to go in Latin America
When to go to the Antarctic
Go and explore one of the most untouched places on Earth, Antarctic, land of snow and ice, penguins and elephant seals, albatrosses and orcas.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Antarctic page.
When to go to Argentina
Tangos, red wine and steak, gauchos in the Pampas; glaciers in Patagonia; Iguazu Falls; wetlands, winelands, lake districts . . . Argentina is a feast of experiences just waiting to be explored.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Argentina page.
When to go to Bolivia
Bolivia is one of the generally lesser-known countries in South America, but its Amazon rainforest, Andean mountains, salt flats, Lake Titicaca and fascinating history shouldn’t be missed.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Bolivia page.
When to go to Brazil
From the Amazon to the Pantanal, from Iguazu Falls to the Costa Verde, and from Rio de Janeiro to the Afro-Brazilian culture of Salvador, Brazil is huge, diverse and unmissable.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Brazil page.
When to go to Chile
The landscapes of this long thin country vary from the Atacama Desert in the north, to the lakes districts and winelands in the centre, down to Patagonia in the south and Easter Island offshore.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Chile page.
When to go to Costa Rica
Discover sloths and spider monkeys, walk on hanging bridges, explore volcanoes, try zip-lining, dip your toes in the Caribbean and/or the Pacific. It’s a tiny country but it’s packed with adventures.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Costa Rica page.
When to go to Ecuador
The highlights of Ecuador are the Andean mountains, the Amazon rainforest, the beautiful cloud forest, the Galapagos Islands, and the Ecuadorian people.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Ecuador page.
When to go to the Galapagos Islands
A nature lover’s paradise where wildlife has no fear of mankind and you can swim with curious seals or see pelicans in the fish market. Unique wildlife, volcanic habitats and nature cruises.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Galapagos Islands page.
When to go to Peru
Peru is synonymous with the Incas and Machu Picchu, but it also has Amazon rainforest, cloud forest, Lake Titicaca, Colca Canyon, Arequipa . . . Peru is uniquely and diversely fascinating.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Peru page.
15 days from £7700pp plus international flights.
From north to south, desert to glacier, with the bonus of Easter Island, you experience the rich variety that is Chile.
- Explore three of Chile's most iconic locations in luxury
- Stay in stylish Explora hotels with spas and swimming pools
- See Atacama's lunar-like landscapes and wonderful night skies
- Visit the towering moia of Easter Island
- Hike, bike or horse ride through the glorious Patagonian landscape
- Fly between locations to optimise exploration time
Above are the events and reasons to travel that are specific to NOVEMBER, and below we give you an overview of when to travel in African countries, with links to pages that have more details to help you.
Where to go in Africa
When to go to Botswana
Botswana is about wilderness and wildlife in the Okavango Delta, Chobe, the Kalahari Desert . . . Take mokoro safaris, meet San Bushmen, hang out with meerkats and elephants, search for wild dogs.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Botswana page.
When to go to Kenya
If you want to take breakfast with a giraffe, walk with Maasai, see wildebeest (hopefully) escape the jaws of crocodiles in the Masai Mara, and chill out on the beach by the Indian Ocean, Kenya is for you.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Kenya page.
When to go to Madagascar
Head for Madagascar if you yearn to meet a lemur, want to see weird but wonderful baobab trees, are keen to learn about the ‘turning of the bones’ ceremony, or fancy escaping to stunning tropical beaches.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Madagascar page.
When to go to Malawi
This little country known as the ‘warm heart of Africa’ has a superb combination of lake activities and beaches, excellent wildlife viewing and bird watching, varied hiking opportunities, and fascinating culture.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Malawi page.
When to go to Mauritius
Mauritius is the place to come if escaping to the beach is your main priority. Hit the beach, enjoy watersports, explore some of the nature reserves or try out the restaurants and bars in the main towns.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Mauritius page.
When to go to Mozambique
Mozambique has miles and miles of Indian Ocean coastline and beautiful tropical islands. Fancy somewhere different for your beach holiday? You’ve just found it!
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Mozambique page.
When to go to Namibia
Impressive sand dunes, the Skeleton Coast, ancient rock art, tribal culture of the Himba, incredible wildlife, exciting activities . . . the huge arid country of Namibia attracts visitors for many good reasons.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Namibia page.
When to go to Rwanda
You should definitely come to Rwanda to see mountain gorillas, but also chimps, golden monkeys and other wildlife, as well as truly breathtaking scenery and fascinating culture.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Rwanda page.
When to go to South Africa
The diversity of experiences you can enjoy here is huge. From incredible wildlife in Kruger and many other parks, to fabulous beaches, impressive mountains, and cosmopolitan cities, South Africa never fails.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to South Africa page.
When to go to Tanzania
Fly over the Serengeti in a hot air balloon, follow the wildebeest migration, climb Kilimanjaro, learn from Maasai, go chimp trekking, relax on Zanzibar Island . . . Tanzania is unbeatable.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Tanzania page.
When to go to Uganda
Mountain gorillas are the highlight of Uganda for some but for others, it’s the incredible birdlife. Whether it’s the wildlife, the culture, or incredible landscapes such as Murchison Falls, it will not disappoint.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Uganda page.
When to go to Zambia
Walking safaris were born here and it is home to Victoria Falls. Canoe on the Zambezi; visit the ‘lost world’ of Liuwa Plains; experience the photo hides in South Luangwa . . . We adore Zambia.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Zambia page.
When to go to Zimbabwe
Superb safaris, Victoria Falls, cruises on Lake Kariba, canoe trips at Mana Pools, rock paintings at Matobo Hills and the ancient ruins of Great Zimbabwe. Diversity, adventure and luxury combined.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Zimbabwe page.
11 days from £4350pp plus international flights.
Safari in Zambia's superb South Luangwa then relax on an uninhabited island in Lake Malawi.
- Classic safari and beach combination
- Exciting game drives in South Luangwa
- Get close to nature on guided walks
- A gorgeous lodge on Nankoma Island in Lake Malawi
- Go kayaking, snorkelling and diving
- Marvel at the prolific bird life
Above are the events and reasons to travel that are specific to NOVEMBER, and below we give you an overview of when to travel in India, Nepal and Bhutan, with links to pages that have more details to help you.
Where to go in Indian Subcontinent
When to go to India
Palaces and forts vie for your attention alongside tigers and rhinos, while spiritualism and sightseeing can combine with Himalayan mountains and Keralan beaches for a uniquely Indian experience.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to India page.
When to go to Nepal
Nepal is an incredible country where you can see Everest in the north, tigers in the south, and the stunning cities of the Kathmandu Valley with the stupas and temples. Adventure, wildlife and spiritualism.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Nepal page.
When to go to Bhutan
The Land of the Thunder Dragon is a Buddhist kingdom where you can enjoy visiting temples, discovering a unique culture, and hiking in stunning scenery.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Bhutan page.
11 days from £7400pp plus international flights.
Spoil yourself as you travel through Rajasthan aboard the luxurious Maharajas' Express, with stops at major sites en-route.
- Revel in the opulent style of the Maharajas' Express
- Fine dining and butler service
- Choice of guided excursions
- See the Taj Mahal and Lake Pichola
- Sand dune sundowners in the Thar Desert
- Air conditioned cabins and suites
- Mumbai and Delhi city tours
Take a look at our Tribes Guides. You get full access to these guides when you 'Join our Tribe' simply by giving us your email.