A guide to where to go on holiday in May for wildlife, culture and adventure in Africa, the Indian subcontinent and Latin America.
Best places to go on holiday in May
Highlights of where to go on holiday in May in Latin America:
- The Galapagos Islands offer a year-round wildlife spectacle that is hard to beat. May is warm and clear. On North Seymour, blue-footed boobies are mating. Read about why the Galapagos should be on your travel list.
- Combine the Galapagos with time to explore Ecuador‘s mainland to see the wildlife of the Amazonian rainforest plus the Andean regions with Andean markets and gorgeous haciendas. May is a very pleasant time to visit Ecuador. Take a look at this exciting holiday.
- By May, Peru is coming out of the wet season, yet it’s not usually too busy and the weather is generally very good. While the Peruvian Amazon and cloud forest are still quite wet underfoot, wildlife viewing can still be good. Try our Classic Peru holiday to explore Peru’s Incan and colonial history and find out about modern life in Cusco, the Sacred Valley, Arequipa, at Lake Titicaca …
- May is mostly still a good month to come to Costa Rica without hitting too much rain.
Highlights of where to go on holiday in May in Africa:
- In Botswana, the rains have stopped and the floods start to reach the Okavango Delta attracting wildlife from miles around. It’s not peak season yet so it’s cheaper than July-October and still a really great time to come.
- If you’d like to come to see Madagascar when it’s quieter, yet still good for lemurs and other wildlife, May-June is a good time. The rains have gone and the idyllic tropical beaches beckon.
- It is now the dry season in Malawi so a great time for wildlife. Hot and sunny so also good by the lake yet still reasonably green. What about a lakeside break with lots of watersports or just space to chill out? Lake Malawi has some really gorgeous beach lodges, some on tiny islands.
- This is winter in Kruger and the days are dry and warm, with cold nights. It’s a great time for wildlife viewing here as well as in KwaZulu Natal‘s Hluhluwe-Umfolozi, and Madikwe in the northwest.
- In Zambia, May is one of the best months for the Liuwa Plains and for shoebill storks in Bangweulu.
- Mauritius is good most of the year, with May to December being the best months for avoiding tropical storms. Excellent beaches and many superb hotels.
- The rains have abated in Mozambique, and the southern beaches of the Bazaruto archipelago would be a good place to come.
Highlights of where to go on holiday in May in India, Nepal or Bhutan:
- Only the hardiest of heat-lovers manage to cope with May temperatures in India and the lowlands of Nepal, but if you can, you’ll be rewarded with excellent game viewing including tigers. Consider adding Kerala and Goa for a beach holiday too – but choose somewhere with aircon!
- May is a lovely time for trekking. Nepal offers some incredible hiking opportunities.
- In Bhutan it’s spring. It’s warm and the flowers are blooming. Gorgeous for walks and visiting temples.
Above are the events and reasons to travel that are specific to MAY, and below we give you an overview of when to travel in Latin American countries, with links to pages that have more details to help you.
Where to go in Latin America
When to go to the Antarctic
Go and explore one of the most untouched places on Earth, Antarctic, land of snow and ice, penguins and elephant seals, albatrosses and orcas.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Antarctic page.
When to go to Argentina
Tangos, red wine and steak, gauchos in the Pampas; glaciers in Patagonia; Iguazu Falls; wetlands, winelands, lake districts . . . Argentina is a feast of experiences just waiting to be explored.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Argentina page.
When to go to Bolivia
Bolivia is one of the generally lesser-known countries in South America, but its Amazon rainforest, Andean mountains, salt flats, Lake Titicaca and fascinating history shouldn’t be missed.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Bolivia page.
When to go to Brazil
From the Amazon to the Pantanal, from Iguazu Falls to the Costa Verde, and from Rio de Janeiro to the Afro-Brazilian culture of Salvador, Brazil is huge, diverse and unmissable.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Brazil page.
When to go to Chile
The landscapes of this long thin country vary from the Atacama Desert in the north, to the lakes districts and winelands in the centre, down to Patagonia in the south and Easter Island offshore.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Chile page.
When to go to Costa Rica
Discover sloths and spider monkeys, walk on hanging bridges, explore volcanoes, try zip-lining, dip your toes in the Caribbean and/or the Pacific. It’s a tiny country but it’s packed with adventures.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Costa Rica page.
When to go to Ecuador
The highlights of Ecuador are the Andean mountains, the Amazon rainforest, the beautiful cloud forest, the Galapagos Islands, and the Ecuadorian people.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Ecuador page.
When to go to the Galapagos Islands
A nature lover’s paradise where wildlife has no fear of mankind and you can swim with curious seals or see pelicans in the fish market. Unique wildlife, volcanic habitats and nature cruises.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Galapagos Islands page.
When to go to Peru
Peru is synonymous with the Incas and Machu Picchu, but it also has Amazon rainforest, cloud forest, Lake Titicaca, Colca Canyon, Arequipa . . . Peru is uniquely and diversely fascinating.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Peru page.
18 days from £7000pp plus international flights.
A holiday of contrasts as you explore the magnificent Galapagos archipelago and then travel onward to see highlights of Costa Rica.
- Explore the Galapagos archipelago
- Enjoy life aboard a yacht cruising the islands
- See the rainforests of Costa Rica
- Marvel at the iconic Arenal volcano
- Witness wildlife galore in contrasting habitats
Above are the events and reasons to travel that are specific to MAY, and below we give you an overview of when to travel in African countries, with links to pages that have more details to help you.
Where to go in Africa
When to go to Botswana
Botswana is about wilderness and wildlife in the Okavango Delta, Chobe, the Kalahari Desert . . . Take mokoro safaris, meet San Bushmen, hang out with meerkats and elephants, search for wild dogs.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Botswana page.
When to go to Kenya
If you want to take breakfast with a giraffe, walk with Maasai, see wildebeest (hopefully) escape the jaws of crocodiles in the Masai Mara, and chill out on the beach by the Indian Ocean, Kenya is for you.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Kenya page.
When to go to Madagascar
Head for Madagascar if you yearn to meet a lemur, want to see weird but wonderful baobab trees, are keen to learn about the ‘turning of the bones’ ceremony, or fancy escaping to stunning tropical beaches.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Madagascar page.
When to go to Malawi
This little country known as the ‘warm heart of Africa’ has a superb combination of lake activities and beaches, excellent wildlife viewing and bird watching, varied hiking opportunities, and fascinating culture.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Malawi page.
When to go to Mauritius
Mauritius is the place to come if escaping to the beach is your main priority. Hit the beach, enjoy watersports, explore some of the nature reserves or try out the restaurants and bars in the main towns.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Mauritius page.
When to go to Mozambique
Mozambique has miles and miles of Indian Ocean coastline and beautiful tropical islands. Fancy somewhere different for your beach holiday? You’ve just found it!
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Mozambique page.
When to go to Namibia
Impressive sand dunes, the Skeleton Coast, ancient rock art, tribal culture of the Himba, incredible wildlife, exciting activities . . . the huge arid country of Namibia attracts visitors for many good reasons.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Namibia page.
When to go to Rwanda
You should definitely come to Rwanda to see mountain gorillas, but also chimps, golden monkeys and other wildlife, as well as truly breathtaking scenery and fascinating culture.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Rwanda page.
When to go to South Africa
The diversity of experiences you can enjoy here is huge. From incredible wildlife in Kruger and many other parks, to fabulous beaches, impressive mountains, and cosmopolitan cities, South Africa never fails.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to South Africa page.
When to go to Tanzania
Fly over the Serengeti in a hot air balloon, follow the wildebeest migration, climb Kilimanjaro, learn from Maasai, go chimp trekking, relax on Zanzibar Island . . . Tanzania is unbeatable.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Tanzania page.
When to go to Uganda
Mountain gorillas are the highlight of Uganda for some but for others, it’s the incredible birdlife. Whether it’s the wildlife, the culture, or incredible landscapes such as Murchison Falls, it will not disappoint.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Uganda page.
When to go to Zambia
Walking safaris were born here and it is home to Victoria Falls. Canoe on the Zambezi; visit the ‘lost world’ of Liuwa Plains; experience the photo hides in South Luangwa . . . We adore Zambia.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Zambia page.
When to go to Zimbabwe
Superb safaris, Victoria Falls, cruises on Lake Kariba, canoe trips at Mana Pools, rock paintings at Matobo Hills and the ancient ruins of Great Zimbabwe. Diversity, adventure and luxury combined.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Zimbabwe page.
9 days from £2400pp plus international flights.
An excellent combination of game viewing on foot, and leisurely days on the beach in South Africa.
- Safaris from your luxury camp in a private area of Kruger National Park
- Exciting guided walking safaris in Kruger
- 4 nights in a gorgeous beach lodge on the KwaZulu Natal coast
- Luxury thatched bush suite in the dunes, overlooking the Indian Ocean
- Empty, stunning wild beach for miles
- Seasonal turtle tracking
Above are the events and reasons to travel that are specific to MAY, and below we give you an overview of when to travel in India, Nepal and Bhutan, with links to pages that have more details to help you.
Where to go in Indian Subcontinent
When to go to India
Palaces and forts vie for your attention alongside tigers and rhinos, while spiritualism and sightseeing can combine with Himalayan mountains and Keralan beaches for a uniquely Indian experience.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to India page.
When to go to Nepal
Nepal is an incredible country where you can see Everest in the north, tigers in the south, and the stunning cities of the Kathmandu Valley with the stupas and temples. Adventure, wildlife and spiritualism.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Nepal page.
When to go to Bhutan
The Land of the Thunder Dragon is a Buddhist kingdom where you can enjoy visiting temples, discovering a unique culture, and hiking in stunning scenery.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Bhutan page.
15 days from £3400pp plus international flights.
Culture, fabulous mountain scenery, plus thrilling rafting and wildlife viewing make this a superb Nepal holiday.
- Explore the markets and temples of Kathmandu
- Five days' scenic trekking in the Annapurnas
- Exciting rafting on the Trisuli River
- A chance to see Asiatic one-horned rhinos
- Stay in the small hill town of Bandipur
- Visit the 'monkey temple' of Swayambunath
Take a look at our Tribes Guides. You get full access to these guides when you 'Join our Tribe' simply by giving us your email.