A guide to where to go on holiday in August for wildlife, culture and adventure in Africa, the Indian subcontinent and Latin America.
Best places to go in August
Highlights of where to go on holiday in August in Africa:
- Stunning wildlife viewing in the unique landscapes of Botswana. August is peak season here, so come to see the Okavango Delta, Chobe and more. Wildlife viewing at this time can be extraordinary, as the game begins to concentrate around dwindling water holes or head for main water sources. It’s a good month for wild dogs.
- August is a wonderful time to head for the wilderness in Namibia. Sand dunes, wildlife, wild coast, fascinating cultures . . . it’s a brilliant country. It’s cold at night and in the mornings, but days are sunny and warm.
- In Madagascar, wildlife viewing is good … but book early. It’s peak season in Madagascar so you need to book in good time as there are limited good places to stay and they get quickly booked up for August. The tropical beaches are looking good too!
- Malawi offers some good wildlife and beach holidays. August is the dry season in Malawi and it’s the coolest month (though still nice) so it’s good if you don’t want it to be too hot.
- Rwanda and Uganda are dry. Excellent great birding, general wildlife, gorilla and chimp trekking.
- South Africa: August is winter in Kruger and the days are dry and warm, with cold evenings and mornings. It’s a great time for wildlife viewing here as well as in KwaZulu Natal’s Hluhluwe-Umfolozi, and Madikwe in the northwest. July and August are two of the best months for the Kalahari. Also the eastern region of KwaZulu Natal has stunning coastline to explore.
- In Tanzania and Kenya, many great East African reserves and more are at their peak from July to October: the Serengeti, the Masai Mara, Amboseli, Nyerere (Selous) … The annual wildebeest migration is in central and northern Serengeti, Tanzania, and in the latter part of the month, the first few animals might make it to the Masai Mara.
The mainland beaches plus those of the Indian Ocean islands of Zanzibar, Mafia, Lamu, Fanjove and others are a good choice in July.
- Zambia and Zimbabwe are on top form now for truly excellent wildlife experiences, including walking safaris (especially in Zambia).
- In Mozambique, as well as great beaches, you can see humpback whales in the south from about June to September.
- Mauritius is good most of the year, with May to December being the best months. August is one of the cooler months but it’s still in the mid-20°sC. Excellent beaches and many superb hotels.
Highlights of where to go on holiday in August in Latin America:
- August is a good month for most experiences in Peru. The claylicks in the rainforest are attracting parrots, macaws and parakeets in good numbers from August to October.
- The Galapagos Islands offer a year-round wildlife spectacle that is hard to beat. July and August are drier and cooler, lovely months to visit unless you get seasick as it can be a bit windy. Fur seals are mating and sea lion pups being born. Combine this with time to explore the Ecuador mainland to see the wildlife of the Amazonian rainforest plus the Andean regions with Andean markets and haciendas.
- August is a great month for spotting wild jaguars in Brazil‘s Pantanal (June to October). Combine the Pantanal with the Amazon for an incredible wildlife experience. Good time for hyacinth macaws, and even maned wolves in a particular camp. It is also a popular month to visit the beaches of Salvador and the northeast.
- Costa Rica is deemed to be in the rainy season from now until about October, however, don’t discount it in July or August as while it probably will rain, it’s rare that it pours enough to spoil your holiday. From July to October in Tortuguero turtles come ashore to lay eggs.
- Titicaca, Amazon rainforest, Andean mountains and salt lakes are all waiting for you in Bolivia.
Highlights of where to go on holiday in August in India, Nepal or Bhutan:
- From June to September India is mostly hot and humid and the main monsoon starts in the southwest and heads northwards through central India reaching the north in July. Most national parks are closed. India’s southeast remains mostly dry in these months.
- In Bhutan, it’s the time of summer festivals beginning and lush greenery. It will be raining though, so if you come you need to be prepared for that.
Above are the events and reasons to travel that are specific to AUGUST, and below we give you an overview of when to travel in African countries, with links to pages that have more details to help you.
Where to go in Africa
When to go to Botswana
Botswana is about wilderness and wildlife in the Okavango Delta, Chobe, the Kalahari Desert . . . Take mokoro safaris, meet San Bushmen, hang out with meerkats and elephants, search for wild dogs.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Botswana page.
When to go to Kenya
If you want to take breakfast with a giraffe, walk with Maasai, see wildebeest (hopefully) escape the jaws of crocodiles in the Masai Mara, and chill out on the beach by the Indian Ocean, Kenya is for you.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Kenya page.
When to go to Madagascar
Head for Madagascar if you yearn to meet a lemur, want to see weird but wonderful baobab trees, are keen to learn about the ‘turning of the bones’ ceremony, or fancy escaping to stunning tropical beaches.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Madagascar page.
When to go to Malawi
This little country known as the ‘warm heart of Africa’ has a superb combination of lake activities and beaches, excellent wildlife viewing and bird watching, varied hiking opportunities, and fascinating culture.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Malawi page.
When to go to Mauritius
Mauritius is the place to come if escaping to the beach is your main priority. Hit the beach, enjoy watersports, explore some of the nature reserves or try out the restaurants and bars in the main towns.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Mauritius page.
When to go to Mozambique
Mozambique has miles and miles of Indian Ocean coastline and beautiful tropical islands. Fancy somewhere different for your beach holiday? You’ve just found it!
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Mozambique page.
When to go to Namibia
Impressive sand dunes, the Skeleton Coast, ancient rock art, tribal culture of the Himba, incredible wildlife, exciting activities . . . the huge arid country of Namibia attracts visitors for many good reasons.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Namibia page.
When to go to Rwanda
You should definitely come to Rwanda to see mountain gorillas, but also chimps, golden monkeys and other wildlife, as well as truly breathtaking scenery and fascinating culture.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Rwanda page.
When to go to South Africa
The diversity of experiences you can enjoy here is huge. From incredible wildlife in Kruger and many other parks, to fabulous beaches, impressive mountains, and cosmopolitan cities, South Africa never fails.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to South Africa page.
When to go to Tanzania
Fly over the Serengeti in a hot air balloon, follow the wildebeest migration, climb Kilimanjaro, learn from Maasai, go chimp trekking, relax on Zanzibar Island . . . Tanzania is unbeatable.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Tanzania page.
When to go to Uganda
Mountain gorillas are the highlight of Uganda for some but for others, it’s the incredible birdlife. Whether it’s the wildlife, the culture, or incredible landscapes such as Murchison Falls, it will not disappoint.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Uganda page.
When to go to Zambia
Walking safaris were born here and it is home to Victoria Falls. Canoe on the Zambezi; visit the ‘lost world’ of Liuwa Plains; experience the photo hides in South Luangwa . . . We adore Zambia.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Zambia page.
When to go to Zimbabwe
Superb safaris, Victoria Falls, cruises on Lake Kariba, canoe trips at Mana Pools, rock paintings at Matobo Hills and the ancient ruins of Great Zimbabwe. Diversity, adventure and luxury combined.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Zimbabwe page.
11 days from £4700pp plus international flights.
Three contrasting highlights: the mighty Victoria Falls, photogenic Lake Kariba and diverse wildlife of Zimbabwe, are showcased in this holiday.
- Sunrise and sunsets on Lake Kariba cruise
- Tender boat trips and lakeside picnics
- Safari in Hwange National Park
- Game drives and walking safaris
- Experience the 'pump run'
- See, hear and feel Victoria Falls
Above are the events and reasons to travel that are specific to AUGUST, and below we give you an overview of when to travel in Latin American countries, with links to pages that have more details to help you.
Where to go in Latin America
When to go to the Antarctic
Go and explore one of the most untouched places on Earth, Antarctic, land of snow and ice, penguins and elephant seals, albatrosses and orcas.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Antarctic page.
When to go to Argentina
Tangos, red wine and steak, gauchos in the Pampas; glaciers in Patagonia; Iguazu Falls; wetlands, winelands, lake districts . . . Argentina is a feast of experiences just waiting to be explored.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Argentina page.
When to go to Bolivia
Bolivia is one of the generally lesser-known countries in South America, but its Amazon rainforest, Andean mountains, salt flats, Lake Titicaca and fascinating history shouldn’t be missed.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Bolivia page.
When to go to Brazil
From the Amazon to the Pantanal, from Iguazu Falls to the Costa Verde, and from Rio de Janeiro to the Afro-Brazilian culture of Salvador, Brazil is huge, diverse and unmissable.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Brazil page.
When to go to Chile
The landscapes of this long thin country vary from the Atacama Desert in the north, to the lakes districts and winelands in the centre, down to Patagonia in the south and Easter Island offshore.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Chile page.
When to go to Costa Rica
Discover sloths and spider monkeys, walk on hanging bridges, explore volcanoes, try zip-lining, dip your toes in the Caribbean and/or the Pacific. It’s a tiny country but it’s packed with adventures.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Costa Rica page.
When to go to Ecuador
The highlights of Ecuador are the Andean mountains, the Amazon rainforest, the beautiful cloud forest, the Galapagos Islands, and the Ecuadorian people.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Ecuador page.
When to go to the Galapagos Islands
A nature lover’s paradise where wildlife has no fear of mankind and you can swim with curious seals or see pelicans in the fish market. Unique wildlife, volcanic habitats and nature cruises.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Galapagos Islands page.
When to go to Peru
Peru is synonymous with the Incas and Machu Picchu, but it also has Amazon rainforest, cloud forest, Lake Titicaca, Colca Canyon, Arequipa . . . Peru is uniquely and diversely fascinating.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Peru page.
10 days from £2550pp plus international flights.
Before the Incas rose to power, Peru had other major civilisations, and on this holiday we immerse you in the history, art and architecture of those earlier cultures.
- Cable car ride to the magnificent Kuelap Fortress
- Trek to the spectacular Gocta Falls
- Chan Chán, once the world's largest adobe city
- Treasures from the tomb of the Lord of Sipán
- Museums with incredible indigenous art
- Guided tour of historic Lima
- Stay in a rural lodge with waterfall views
Above are the events and reasons to travel that are specific to AUGUST, and below we give you an overview of when to travel in India, Nepal and Bhutan, with links to pages that have more details to help you.
Where to go in Indian Subcontinent
When to go to India
Palaces and forts vie for your attention alongside tigers and rhinos, while spiritualism and sightseeing can combine with Himalayan mountains and Keralan beaches for a uniquely Indian experience.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to India page.
When to go to Nepal
Nepal is an incredible country where you can see Everest in the north, tigers in the south, and the stunning cities of the Kathmandu Valley with the stupas and temples. Adventure, wildlife and spiritualism.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Nepal page.
When to go to Bhutan
The Land of the Thunder Dragon is a Buddhist kingdom where you can enjoy visiting temples, discovering a unique culture, and hiking in stunning scenery.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Bhutan page.
10 days from £1400pp plus international flights.
A great introduction to southern India, this holiday will give you a glimpse into daily life and awaken all your senses.
- Enjoy the laid-back South Indian lifestyle
- Take an evening cruise round Kochi harbour
- Relax on an overnight cruise in the backwaters
- Visit spice plantations in Periyar
- Unwind at your 36-acre beach resort
- Savour tasty Keralan cuisine
Take a look at our Tribes Guides. You get full access to these guides when you 'Join our Tribe' simply by giving us your email.