A guide to where to go on holiday in April for wildlife, culture and adventure in Africa, the Indian subcontinent and Latin America.
Best places to go on holiday in April
Highlights of where to go on holiday in April in Latin America:
- April is one of the drier months in Costa Rica (December to about May) and an excellent time to explore the nature, wildlife and beaches of this tiny but special country. Chill out on either the Pacific or Atlantic coastlines and stay in a lovely hotel or lodge. If you decide you need more action that the beach can provide, there are lots of other activities to be found here, from zip-lining to horse riding, walking, wildlife viewing and climbing volcanoes!
- The Galapagos Islands offer a year-round wildlife spectacle that is hard to beat. In April it is warm with clear seas, and it’s sunny though you might get some rain. Land iguanas start hatching on Isabela, sea turtle eggs also start hatching. This is also the start of the mating season (late April-December) for the waved albatross on Espanola.
- Combine the Galapagos with time on Ecuador‘s mainland as April is a pleasant time to see the wildlife of the Amazonian rainforest plus the Andean regions with Andean markets and haciendas.
- April is the start of Autumn and a great time to visit both Chile and Argentina as the extremes of weather in the north and south are not quite so extreme!
- Bolivia is not a generally well-known country, but it has so much to offer – Amazon rainforest, salt lakes, altiplano, ancient cultural sites . . . April is the start of the dry season, so maybe take a look at this wonderful country.
Highlights of where to go on holiday in April in Africa:
- Many of the herds of the annual wildebeest migration are heading to the western region of Tanzania’s Serengeti so the west and central areas of the park is where to find them. It’s the rainy season, but this means it’s quiet, the birding is very good, and you can get some really good deals on prices.
- It is coming to the end of the green season in the southern African countries of Botswana, Zambia and Zimbabwe (late December to March/April). You’ll still find excellent birding opportunities, increasingly good general wildlife, plus good value on lodges at this time.
- In Zambia, even though it’s still wet, April is one of the best months for seeing shoebill storks in Bangweulu Swamps.
- Head for KwaZulu Natal on the east coast of South Africa. There are some great beaches here, and you can mix this with many other activities such as wildlife and walking if you wish. Try this great suggested itinerary.
- South Africa’s Cape region is getting cooler with more chance of rain, but it’s still a great place to come for sightseeing in Cape Town, the Garden Route and Winelands.
You could also head for Mpumalanga region, west of Kruger, to see such sights as the Blyde River Canyon, Bourke’s Luck Potholes, God’s Window and more on the Panorama Route. This links nicely with wildlife viewing in Kruger. Try this Kruger & Panorama Route holiday.
- April is just past the peak flow of Victoria Falls and it’s still very impressive.
Highlights of where to go on holiday in April in India, Nepal or Bhutan:
- If you can cope with the heat, April is one of the very best months for India and Nepal’s wildlife reserves, including the tiger reserves of Kanha, Bandhavgarh and Ranthambore amongst others. It’s hot and the grasses have died down so it’s easier to see wildlife.
- If you are fine with relatively high temperatures, consider Kerala and Goa for a beach holiday. Average temperatures tend to be around the mid-30s°c but it can go higher.
- April is also a lovely time for trekking. Nepal offers some incredible hiking opportunities.
- In Bhutan it’s spring. It’s warm and the flowers are blooming. Gorgeous for walks and visiting temples.
Above are the events and reasons to travel that are specific to APRIL, and below we give you an overview of when to travel in Latin American countries, with links to pages that have more details to help you.
Where to go in Latin America
When to go to the Antarctic
Go and explore one of the most untouched places on Earth, Antarctic, land of snow and ice, penguins and elephant seals, albatrosses and orcas.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Antarctic page.
When to go to Argentina
Tangos, red wine and steak, gauchos in the Pampas; glaciers in Patagonia; Iguazu Falls; wetlands, winelands, lake districts . . . Argentina is a feast of experiences just waiting to be explored.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Argentina page.
When to go to Bolivia
Bolivia is one of the generally lesser-known countries in South America, but its Amazon rainforest, Andean mountains, salt flats, Lake Titicaca and fascinating history shouldn’t be missed.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Bolivia page.
When to go to Brazil
From the Amazon to the Pantanal, from Iguazu Falls to the Costa Verde, and from Rio de Janeiro to the Afro-Brazilian culture of Salvador, Brazil is huge, diverse and unmissable.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Brazil page.
When to go to Chile
The landscapes of this long thin country vary from the Atacama Desert in the north, to the lakes districts and winelands in the centre, down to Patagonia in the south and Easter Island offshore.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Chile page.
When to go to Costa Rica
Discover sloths and spider monkeys, walk on hanging bridges, explore volcanoes, try zip-lining, dip your toes in the Caribbean and/or the Pacific. It’s a tiny country but it’s packed with adventures.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Costa Rica page.
When to go to Ecuador
The highlights of Ecuador are the Andean mountains, the Amazon rainforest, the beautiful cloud forest, the Galapagos Islands, and the Ecuadorian people.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Ecuador page.
When to go to the Galapagos Islands
A nature lover’s paradise where wildlife has no fear of mankind and you can swim with curious seals or see pelicans in the fish market. Unique wildlife, volcanic habitats and nature cruises.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Galapagos Islands page.
When to go to Peru
Peru is synonymous with the Incas and Machu Picchu, but it also has Amazon rainforest, cloud forest, Lake Titicaca, Colca Canyon, Arequipa . . . Peru is uniquely and diversely fascinating.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Peru page.
9 days from £3450pp plus international flights.
Three contrasting destinations, each outstanding, expert guides, specially selected hotels and time for independent exploration all in nine amazing days.
- Explore vibrant Buenos Aires with your own guide
- Optional dinner and tango excursion
- See the awe-inspiring Perito Moreno Glacier
- Thrill to the sight of the Devil's Throat at Iguazu Falls
- Guided rainforest hikes
Above are the events and reasons to travel that are specific to APRIL, and below we give you an overview of when to travel in African countries, with links to pages that have more details to help you.
Where to go in Africa
When to go to Botswana
Botswana is about wilderness and wildlife in the Okavango Delta, Chobe, the Kalahari Desert . . . Take mokoro safaris, meet San Bushmen, hang out with meerkats and elephants, search for wild dogs.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Botswana page.
When to go to Kenya
If you want to take breakfast with a giraffe, walk with Maasai, see wildebeest (hopefully) escape the jaws of crocodiles in the Masai Mara, and chill out on the beach by the Indian Ocean, Kenya is for you.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Kenya page.
When to go to Madagascar
Head for Madagascar if you yearn to meet a lemur, want to see weird but wonderful baobab trees, are keen to learn about the ‘turning of the bones’ ceremony, or fancy escaping to stunning tropical beaches.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Madagascar page.
When to go to Malawi
This little country known as the ‘warm heart of Africa’ has a superb combination of lake activities and beaches, excellent wildlife viewing and bird watching, varied hiking opportunities, and fascinating culture.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Malawi page.
When to go to Mauritius
Mauritius is the place to come if escaping to the beach is your main priority. Hit the beach, enjoy watersports, explore some of the nature reserves or try out the restaurants and bars in the main towns.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Mauritius page.
When to go to Mozambique
Mozambique has miles and miles of Indian Ocean coastline and beautiful tropical islands. Fancy somewhere different for your beach holiday? You’ve just found it!
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Mozambique page.
When to go to Namibia
Impressive sand dunes, the Skeleton Coast, ancient rock art, tribal culture of the Himba, incredible wildlife, exciting activities . . . the huge arid country of Namibia attracts visitors for many good reasons.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Namibia page.
When to go to Rwanda
You should definitely come to Rwanda to see mountain gorillas, but also chimps, golden monkeys and other wildlife, as well as truly breathtaking scenery and fascinating culture.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Rwanda page.
When to go to South Africa
The diversity of experiences you can enjoy here is huge. From incredible wildlife in Kruger and many other parks, to fabulous beaches, impressive mountains, and cosmopolitan cities, South Africa never fails.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to South Africa page.
When to go to Tanzania
Fly over the Serengeti in a hot air balloon, follow the wildebeest migration, climb Kilimanjaro, learn from Maasai, go chimp trekking, relax on Zanzibar Island . . . Tanzania is unbeatable.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Tanzania page.
When to go to Uganda
Mountain gorillas are the highlight of Uganda for some but for others, it’s the incredible birdlife. Whether it’s the wildlife, the culture, or incredible landscapes such as Murchison Falls, it will not disappoint.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Uganda page.
When to go to Zambia
Walking safaris were born here and it is home to Victoria Falls. Canoe on the Zambezi; visit the ‘lost world’ of Liuwa Plains; experience the photo hides in South Luangwa . . . We adore Zambia.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Zambia page.
When to go to Zimbabwe
Superb safaris, Victoria Falls, cruises on Lake Kariba, canoe trips at Mana Pools, rock paintings at Matobo Hills and the ancient ruins of Great Zimbabwe. Diversity, adventure and luxury combined.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Zimbabwe page.
13 days from £2750pp plus international flights.
From cosmopolitan Cape Town to the big game of Kruger, and the spectacle of Victoria Falls, this will be an unforgettable holiday!
- Views from the top of Table Mountain across the city and the bay
- Great beaches and coastal walking
- Wildlife safari with game drives to see the Big 5 in Sabi Sands
- Guided tour of Victoria Falls
- Sunset cruise on the Zambezi River
Above are the events and reasons to travel that are specific to APRIL, and below we give you an overview of when to travel in India, Nepal and Bhutan, with links to pages that have more details to help you.
Where to go in Indian Subcontinent
When to go to India
Palaces and forts vie for your attention alongside tigers and rhinos, while spiritualism and sightseeing can combine with Himalayan mountains and Keralan beaches for a uniquely Indian experience.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to India page.
When to go to Nepal
Nepal is an incredible country where you can see Everest in the north, tigers in the south, and the stunning cities of the Kathmandu Valley with the stupas and temples. Adventure, wildlife and spiritualism.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Nepal page.
When to go to Bhutan
The Land of the Thunder Dragon is a Buddhist kingdom where you can enjoy visiting temples, discovering a unique culture, and hiking in stunning scenery.
For more detail, read our Best Times to go to Bhutan page.
8 days from £1950pp plus international flights.
An exciting introduction to the culture, landscape and people of Bhutan on this nine day trip. A holiday to remember.
- Mix of sightseeing and activity
- Walk to the famous Tigers Nest monastery
- Glimpse rugged Himalayan peaks
- Go rafting on the Pho Chhu river
- Learn about Bhutanese culture from your guide
- Enjoy a thrilling downhill mountain bike ride
Take a look at our Tribes Guides. You get full access to these guides when you 'Join our Tribe' simply by giving us your email.