Just a 90-minute flight from Mauritius, but a world away. If you want to get away from it all on a peaceful tiny island, just 18km long and 8km wide, the Rodrigues could be just for you.
Step out of the rat race straight into island life. Experience the rich culture and blend of African, Malagasy and European cultures, where everything takes place at a slow and gentle pace. Rodrigues is perfect if you want a tropical island escape with a warm tropical climate and soothing sea breezes, away from the crowds.
- Beach life: Swimming and snorkelling are popular on Rodrigues, and can be complemented by watersports such as windsurfing, kite surfing and sailing.
- Excursions: Boat and pirogue trips allow you to explore the coast and visit islands like the Ile aux Cocos, a nature reserve home to a large number of birds.
- Tortoises: At the Francois Legaur Giant Tortoise Reserve you can see these endearing ancient creatures and also walk through the forest, explore caves and observe the rare Rodrigues fruit bat.
- Shopping: Port Mathurin is the largest town on the island, though it is actually fairly small. There are a few shops, supermarkets and restaurants here. The Saturday morning market is popular with islanders for food purchases though you’ll also find handicraft stalls selling jewellery, paintings and carvings, perfect for souvenirs.
- Food: The island has its own style of cuisine which draws from Creole, African, Chinese, Indian and European influences. The abundance of fresh seafood and a variety of home-grown ingredients result in unique and incredibly tasty flavours.