Arenal is Costa Rica’s most iconic volcano. There is a huge array of activities in the area, such as hanging bridges, hot springs, ziplining and horse riding.
Arenal is a great place for adrenalin junkies! I thoroughly enjoyed zip-lining, hanging bridges, hiking, horse-riding, and hot springs - all in primary and secondary rainforest; for the thrill-seekers there's plenty more including rappelling, canyoning, 'Tarzan' swings and jet-skiing on Arenal Lake.
North-west of San Jose in Costa Rica, Arenal Volcano rises majestically from the rainforest, a symmetrical cone against the skyline. It’s dormant – for the moment – with the last eruption being in 2010. It has been classed as one of the world’s most active volcanoes.
The national park in which it stands is a haven for wildlife, especially birds with almost 75% of the country’s bird species found here. There are lots of things to do in and around Arenal, with the key ones mentioned below.
- Flora & Fauna: The biodiversity of Arenal Volcano cannot be ignored and this is easily explored along the many hiking trails. Home to sloths, capuchin monkeys, deer and snakes, not to mention the abundant birdlife and a huge array of flora.
- Zip-lining: Ziplines and canopy walks, or even the sky-tram are a novel way of exploring the luscious rainforest
- Whitewater rafting: Get your adrenalin racing as you navigate the rapids on a whitewater rafting experience.
- Hot springs: Soothe any aches and pains away in the healing waters of the hot springs, it doesn’t matter what time of year, the springs make the perfect ending after a day of hiking and exploring.
- Horses & Bikes: Horse riding and mountain biking allow you to experience the area and volcano foothills in yet another way.