Yes, it’s that time of year again. Christmas is jingling and tinselling towards us – I saw Santa in my road last night. Close on its heels is New Year, a time of celebration, reflection, anticipation and resolutions. When we gravely vow to become more like the person we feel we should be, give up vices and forsake guilty pleasures. If we’re honest, how long do we stick to this promise? 2 weeks, maybe 3 at the most.
So what’s the point of that? It’s a waste of everyone’s valuable time. So in 2014 I propose a different resolution. Rather than trying to be someone else and setting unrealistic goals, why not celebrate what and who we are. Let’s make 2014 the ‘Be good to yourself’ year. After all, we deserve it. There – you’re feeling better already, aren’t you?
So give yourself a treat. Why not do something new, something special. Make 2014 the year you:
- Soar in a hot air balloon high above the Masai Mara at sunrise – Governor’s Camp
- Watch the changing colours of the Taj Mahal at sunset – The Golden Triangle
- Fearlessly paddle you own canoe in pirahna-rich rivers in the Amazon – Explore the Amazon
- Come face to face with a giant silverback mountain gorilla – Gorilla Trekking in Uganda
- Stay on your very own tropical island paradise – Fanjove Private Island
- Forage for food with a San Bushman in the Kalahari Desert – Grassland Safari Lodge
- Swim with sea lions in the Galapagos Islands – Galapagos and Southern Highlands
- Shoot more than a dozen sets of rapids in rural Bhutan – Highlights of Bhutan
- Fly over the Himalayas and see Everest in close-up – Luxury Nepal
- Sleep out under the stars deep in the African bush – Loisaba Starbeds
- Stand with one foot either side of the equator – Quito day trip
- Sponsor and meet your own baby elephant – Save the Elephant
- Reside in a centuries-old fort as the guests of royalty – Bhainsrorgarh Fort
- Watch spray rising from Victoria Falls while soaking in an infinity pool – Stanley Safari Lodge
- Sip sundowners on a wooden dhow on Lake Tanganyika – Greystoke Mahale
OK, I got a bit carried away there, but you get my drift. If there’s not at least one item in that list that tempts you maybe you should check your pulse! The good news is that any of these, and others too, could be yours in 2014.